Sunday, 22 September 2013

Gaming Board: part 3 – Terrain Inspiration

Torc Waterfall, Killarney National Park

See part 2 here.

With the blank canvas that is my new gaming board I needed a direction for the terrain. Just prior to going on holiday to Ireland a week ago I had been reading up about the Teutoburg Forest massacre in AD 9. It seemed the perfect resource for a Dark Crucible scenario and so the first lot of terrain should be based around a forest.


The trip to Ireland provided plenty of inspiration for my forest. It also showed me how you can have a very green board and it not be one dimensional, from a colour perspective. Ireland is a very green place but the range of greens on show was truly astounding. The rest of this blog post is made up of some things that caught my eye whilst on holiday that may or may not become terrain in the future.

Lady's View, Killarney National Park





Blarney Castle, Co Cork

Ross Castle, Killarney

To be continued…




7 comments:

  1. A waterfall, that that would be smart! Cracking photos Mike, it looks absolutely beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the idea of a waterfall, but not brave enough to try one on my first outing. I'll keep that one in my back pocket for a later board I think.

      Delete
  2. Very nice inspiration Mike. I visit the peak district a lot for my inspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't spent much time in the Peak District myself but spent many summers in the Lake District, which is very similar.

      Delete
  3. Hey there!

    Seems like you've got a great project going. I'm already looking forward to the steps to come. Beautifully painted and modelled gaming boards are way too scarce anyways imo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in but things keep getting in the way of me starting. I agree that a fab board makes all the difference and they're way too scarce.

      Delete
  4. Glad you enjoyed your trip to Ireland & it's 40 shade's of green, always nice to have people visit good luck with the gaming table.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...