26 July 2012

A Tale of 3 Painters… For Charity!


++ Go to ebay and see the auction here ++ 

There are a lot of talented painters out there in the blogsphere and I wanted to do a project involving some of the folks I've traded advice and compliments with over the months/years… so A Tale of 3 Painters was born.

The premise is simple – three bloggers paint up some models in their own unique styles and we track the collective progress and the end results.

However, things took a bit of a twist and so, rather than comparing different ways to paint the same model, we're going to paint up a handful of models then auction them off for charity.

So who's involved and which figures to paint?


THE ARTISTS


The first of our intrepid painters is Andy Walker from The Lair of the Breviks
"I started the hobby over 20 years ago playing (and painting) Advanced Heroquest, and worked my way through the Games Workshop range culminating in WH40K. I've always been more of a painter than a player though, and in 2009 a small squad of Nurgle Space Marines made it through to the final round of judging at Golden Demon. In the last year I've been a regular contributor of painting articles to the Ancible magazine, and now I paint anything and everything I can get my hands on, including Malifaux, Infinity, Freebooter's Fate, Reaper and classic Citadel Miniatures. If it's a miniature and needs paint, I'll give it a go..."


Our next maestro of miniature painting is Michael Awdry from 28mm Victorian Warfare
"A love of history, a penchant for old war films and a refusal to grow up; all conspiring factors that find me painting small ‘toy’ soldiers as a hobby. I started painting historical miniatures a couple of years ago, with the blog 28mm Victorian Warfare following shortly afterwards. The whole affair was conceived as a form of cathartic expression; a much needed balance to an increasingly demanding career, but I am proud to confess is now a fully-fledged obsession. Yet to roll a die in anger, I find myself constantly distracted by a myriad of ideas that this most wholesome of hobbies provides; perhaps one day I’ll actually finish one of them!"


…with nephew
Finally, we have yours truly…
Mike "Dark Templar" Reynolds
"I've been painting models for 20 years, only recently painting for the love of it rather than for gaming purposes. I have painted models for WH Fantasy, WH40k, Warmachine, Hordes, Malifaux, Necromunda, Flames of War, Confrontation and Hybrid – yet to touch anything historical. As has been highlighted on the blog elsewhere, I'm quite a slow painter and something of a perfectionist which means I have a constant backlog residing on my paint tray!"




THE MODELS

After Christmas I found myself with a surplus Malifaux box set (yes, I'm the person who orders stuff right before the Christmas holidays!) so it has been decided that this will be the topic for the project. The contents will be divided between the three painters and we will each go away and paint our models and you can follow the progress on our respective blogs – see above for links. You never know, other miniatures may join the party along the way.

However, before the painting starts I have to build the models!



THE BATTLE

THE JoeyBerry
Once complete the models will be reunited once again for a special event. At the beginning of September we are going down to Plymouth in Devon to use the painted models in a game against The Joey Berry which she will video for her Monday Malifaux spot on YouTube.



++ THE CHARITY AUCTION ++

Then, finally, the completed crew will go up on Ebay for you all to bid on. The proceeds from the sale of the painted crew will be going to Cancer Research UK so we're hoping for a decent turn out and winning bid.


THE AUDIENCE – YOU!

Can I ask anyone with a blog of their own or Twitter account to shout about this project and link to this page. We'd like to raise as much as we can from the project and your help would be appreciated – plus hopefully you'll have a few weeks of entertainment to boot.

You can of course support us by donating directly to Cancer Research UK if you don't want to bid – donation page can be found here. I have added a donation button on the blog for the duration of the project, all contributions going to the charity.



THANK YOU!

Thank you for reading this – hope you enjoy watching our progress, any and all support is appreciated. Stay tuned for the first update…

++++++++++

As much as we are enjoying this project, it is for charity. If you enjoy reading about our progress please donate towards our final total – even if it's only £1 – via the donate button at the top of the page or on the Cancer Research UK website directly.

Follow Andy's progress here
Follow Michael's progress here
Follow Mike's progress here

Thanks again for your support!

++++++++++

13 comments:

  1. Good luck you 3.. and will keep an eye out for the video on Joey's youtube channel.. another great find there..
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and away we go!

    Can't wait to get started. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's official then! So out of my comfort zone, but promises to be great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Yes - delighted to see that you went for it!! Good for you - should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the crew can swing by Tunbridge Wells on the way to Plymouth and have a go at your McMourning or Viks!

      Delete
  5. Well done chaps, I'll follow the event with interest!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea and all the best chaps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea Templar and will be fun to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I'll definitely be following the progress of all 3 of you on this project - hope you raise a goodly sum of money for CRUK

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the support everyone. I can feel this project starting to build a momentum already!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea, good luck

    ReplyDelete